If you’re wondering where to buy half a cow in Maryland, look no further than Genuine Food. As the US is a top producer of high-quality beef, there are countless sources for where to buy beef. However, when it comes to purchasing a organic CSA half a cow in Maryland, Genuine Food is the best source around.
What Is Half a Cow?
Half a cow is a popular way to purchase beef in bulk. You would buy the meat directly from a farmer who would supply your demand for high-quality meat. When buying half a cow, you aren’t buying individual cuts. Instead, you’re getting a portion of an entire cow, which is where it gets its name.
How much you get from half a cow will depend on your specific needs. For example, a fully-grown cow can yield about 300 lbs of beef. That number may seem much less than you would expect, especially since the average weight of cows across all breeds is 1,390 lbs according to Beef Magazine.
However, you must consider that that is the live weight. As a carcass, it may weigh around 800 lbs. In addition, your farmer would still discard some bones and organs when processing your half of a cow. In the end, you would take home around 300 lbs. That’s still a significant amount of meat for a family or business!
What Parts Do You Get in Half a Cow?
It’s up to you what you take home when you buy half a cow. Depending on your preferences and the size of the cow, you usually have control over what kind of meat you get. Just be sure to coordinate with your farmer of choice so they know what you want. Here are common examples of what you can take home when buying half a cow:
- Roasts: This cut of meat usually comes from the cow’s shoulder and leg area. There’s usually a lot of marbling or a mixture of fat and meat.
- Steaks: These cuts are the most prized parts that offer the most tenderness and flavor. You can ask your farmer for a porterhouse, T-bone, and ribeye, cuts of steaks from half a cow.
- Brisket: This part of meat comes from the cow’s breast area. It is the best part for barbeque, corned beef, pot roast, and braised beef dishes.
- Ribs: Beef ribs are great for braising and barbequing as well. They also have marbling for rich flavor.
- Stew Meat: This cut of beef contains a lot of tough connective tissues. They become soft and tender when you boil them.
- Soup Bones: Beef stock bones are leftover pieces of the cow carcass with less meat than a full meal. Still, they help add flavor to the soup.
- Ground Beef: You can get around 1 to 3 lbs of ground beef from other parts of the half cow you buy.
- Organs: You can usually opt to get cow liver, heart, and tongue, which would be great for certain delicacies. However, you can also have your farmer turn them into ground beef if you prefer more ground meat.
Is Buying Half a Cow Worth It?
If you’re buying half a cow from a reliable supplier, then it is worth your money in the long run. Buying half a cow is arguably more cost-effective than getting individual cuts regularly. With half a cow, you can buy enough beef to last for weeks. You also get to customize the cuts of meat you get, instead of just picking from what’s available. As long as you store your meat properly, then you can maximize its quality for a long time.
How Long Will Half a Cow Last?
With proper freezer storage, you can keep beef in your freezer indefinitely. However, it’s best if you consume the meat within 12 months. If your local half-a-cow provider tells you otherwise, it’s best to follow their advice on the meat you buy from them.
Buying Half a Cow in Maryland From Genuine Food
When you purchase a half cow from Genuine Food Co in Maryland, you can be assured that you’re getting a product that is free range and ethically raised. This means that the cows have had plenty of space to roam and graze, and have been raised in a humane and responsible way.
Not only does this approach ensure that the cows are treated well, it also results in a product that is of superior taste. Because the cows are allowed to graze on grass and other natural food sources, the meat is flavorful, juicy, and tender. And because it’s been raised in a natural and ethical way, you can feel good about what you’re eating.
So if you’re looking for high-quality, responsibly-raised meat in Maryland, consider purchasing a half cow from Genuine Food Co. You’ll be supporting ethical farming practices and enjoying a delicious and nutritious product at the same time.