If the name alone doesn’t excite you, you just might not be that into eating delicious food. We recently came across this Beef and Stout Skillet Pie on Country Living and had to share it with our CSA customers. A quick an easy recipe that is perfect for those of us with busy lives. A few minutes of prep, into the oven, and then you can dive in to this unbelievable dish.
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 lb. Lean Ground Beef
- 4 oz. small shiitake mushrooms
- Kosher salt
- 2 tbsp. tomato paste
- 1/2 c. frozen pearl onions
- 1 tbsp. fresh thyme leaves
- 3 tbsp. all-purpose flour
- 8 oz. stout (Guinness)
- 2 c. frozen butternut squash pieces
- 1 c. frozen peas
- 1 refrigerated rolled pie crust
- 1 large egg
- Heat oven to 375 degrees F. Heat the oil in a 9-inch cast-iron skillet over medium heat. Add the beef, mushrooms and 3/4 teaspoon each salt and pepper, and cook, breaking up the beef with a spoon, until browned, 4 to 6 minutes. Spoon off and discard any fat.
- Add the tomato paste and cook, stirring, for 2 minutes. Stir in the onions and thyme, then sprinkle with the flour and cook, stirring, for 30 seconds.
- Add the stout and simmer until the liquid has thickened, about 1 minute. Add 1/2 cup water and bring to a simmer. Add the squash and peas, return to a simmer, then remove from heat. (This whole step takes only 2 to 3 minutes total.)
- Unroll the pastry on a cutting board, brush with the egg, then cut a cross in the center. Lay the dough on top of the beef mixture (egg-side up), gently pressing the edges around the inside of the skillet. Bake until golden brown, 30 to 35 minutes. Let rest for 5 minutes before serving.