Built upon a basic fall comfort food, black bean and ground beef chili, this Country Living recipe adds a pop of fall flavor with diced pumpkin. Adding the optional chipotle sour cream kicks up the spiciness for those with adventurous palates. This recipe is perfect for family dinners or game day!
- 1 1/4 lb. ground round
- 1 medium Sweet onion
- 1 red bell pepper
- 3 clove garlic
- 2 tbsp. chili powder
- 1 tbsp. dried oregano
- 1 1/2 tsp. ground cumin
- 3 c. sweet pumpkin or butternut squash
- 1 can black beans
- 1 can fire-roasted diced tomatoes
- 1 can low-sodium beef broth
- 1 1/4 tsp. Kosher salt
- 1 tsp. Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 c. Chopped fresh cilantro
- Sliced fresh jalapeños
- 1 container sour cream
- 1 tsp. minced canned chipotle chiles in adobo sauce
- 2 tsp. fresh lime zest
- 1 tbsp. fresh lime juice
- Cook beef in a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat 8 minutes or until beef crumbles and is no longer pink. Remove with a slotted spoon. Cook onion and next 2 ingredients in drippings for 7 minutes. Stir in chili powder and next 2 ingredients and cook 1 more minute. Stir in pumpkin and next 5 ingredients.
- Bring to a boil; reduce heat to low and simmer 20 to 25 minutes or until pumpkin is tender. Stir in cilantro and season to taste with salt and pepper. Serve with jalapeños and Chipotle Sour Cream.
- Chipotle Sour Cream: Stir together sour cream, chipotle, lime zest, and lime juice. Season to taste with salt and pepper.