Enjoy the steak without the heaviness. This recipe for a juicy steak and tomato salad replaces the traditional potatoes with a lighter spring tomato salad. The robust flavor and depth of the steak profile pairs perfectly with the light acidity and crisp taste of the tomatoes. This recipe from Food & Wine makes about six servings and takes about 30 minutes to prepare.
- 1/4 cup very finely chopped red onion
- 1/4 cup Champagne vinegar
- 1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- Kosher salt
- 1 1/2 pounds cherry and medium-size heirloom tomatoes—cherry tomatoes halved, heirloom tomatoes cut into chunks
- One pound leftover Grilled and Chilled Beef or other chilled steak, cut into strips
- Two medium avocados—peeled, pitted and cut into 1 1/2-inch pieces
- 1/2 cup snipped dill
- 1/3 cup tarragon leaves
- In a large bowl, whisk the red onion with the Champagne vinegar and let stand for 10 minutes.
- Whisk in the olive oil and Dijon mustard and season with salt and pepper.
- Add the tomatoes, beef and avocados and toss to coat.
- Season with salt and pepper and toss again.
- Fold in the dill and tarragon and serve right away.