You will be stunned at how easy and tasty this bread is to make. We have modified the recipe by putting garlic cloves into the dough for garlic bread. We have added some whole wheat flour for a heartier bread. We have also talked about adding rosemary. Give it a shot and tell us how you like to make it!
- 1/4tsp active dry yeast
- 1.5 cups warm water
- 3 cups flour (we use bread flour)
- 1.5tsp salt
- In a large bow, dissolve yeast in water. Add flour and salt. Stir until blended (the dough will look shaggy). Cover bowl with plastic wrap and let sit 12-18 hrs at room temperature.
- Lightly dust a sheet of wax paper with flour and pour (scrape) dough onto wax paper. Dust dough with flour. Fold dough onto itself a couple of times, cover with plastic wrap and let rest for 15 minutes.
- Dust with flour and shape dough gentily into a ball. Cover with plastic wrap and let sit for 1-2 hours.
- Put 6-8 quart dutch oven in oven and preheat to 475 F . Once the oven is to temperature, turn the wax paper over and let dough ball drop into dutch oven. Put cover on dutch oven, place back in oven and bake for 30 minutes. Remove lid and bake another 15 to 20 minutes until brown. Remove from dutch oven and let cool on a rack about 1 hour (if you can wait that long).