Now that fall is in full swing, this recipe for Chianti Marinated Beef Stew from Food Network is the perfect way to use your CSA beef. Famed chef Giata De Laurentiis crafted this savory collection of flavors. It takes about 10 minutes of prep time and 3 hours and 30 minutes of cook time. This recipe yields 4 to 6 servings – perfect for a family dinner.
- 2 1/2 to 3 pound beef brisket
- 1 (750 ml) bottle Chianti wine
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 (4-ounce) piece pancetta, cut into 1/4-inch pieces
- 3 medium carrots, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 stalk celery, chopped into 1/2-inch pieces
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled
- 1/4 cup (1 1/2 ounces) kalamata olives, halved
- 6 ounces green beans, halved
- 4 medium red potatoes, quartered
- 2 sprigs rosemary
- 2 sage leaves
- 1 (15-ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 4 cups beef broth
- Place the beef in a 13 by 9-inch glass baking dish.
- Pour the wine over the meat and marinate in the refrigerator for 1 1/2 hours.
- Turn the meat over and marinate for another 1 1/2 hours.
- Remove the meat from the wine and pat dry with paper towels. Reserve the wine.
- In a large Dutch oven, heat 3 tablespoons of the oil over medium-high heat.
- Season the meat on all sides with salt and pepper. Using tongs, place the meat in the pan and brown on all sides, about 2 minutes each side.
- Remove the meat and add the remaining oil. Add the pancetta and cook, stirring frequently for 2 minutes.
- Add the carrots, celery, garlic, olives, green beans, potatoes, rosemary, and sage. Cook for 3 minutes.
- Pour the reserved wine, tomatoes, and beef broth into the pan, scraping up the brown bits that cling to the bottom of the pan with a wooden spoon.
- Return the meat to the pan and bring the liquid to a boil. Cover the pan and simmer for 3 to 3 1/2 hours or until the meat is very tender.
- Remove the meat and the rosemary sprigs from the stew. Place the meat on a cutting board and cut into quarters.
- Using 2 forks, shred the meat into bite-size pieces. Add the shredded meat to the stew and cook until warmed through, about 5 minutes.